The work and activities of law enforcement officers is inherently dangerous. Strict adherence to the following guidelines is necessary to safeguard participants and to minimize the possibility of interference with normal RPD activities and obligations.
Participants in Ride-Alongs will:
- Read and sign the waiver form, acknowledging understanding of and agreement to adhere to the terms and conditions of the Ride-Along.
- Report to the main Reno Police Station at 455 E. 2nd St. on the day and at the time listed on the Ride-Along application.
- Present a neat and clean appearance and wear appropriate apparel. Appropriate apparel consists of long pants and a shirt or blouse with collars and sleeves. Unacceptable attire includes dresses, skirts, t-shirts, tank tops, sandals, or high heels. Clothing or jewelry that could be offensive to the public, to the Department, or to the City, will not be allowed. Tattoos that could be offensive will need to be covered during the Ride-Along.
- No headgear or clothing should be worn that could create a perception that the Ride-Along participant is a member of law enforcement. This includes police logos, patches, badges, insignia, writings, words, phrases, pictures, a Sam Browne belt, basket-weave leather items, flashlights, handcuffs, or any other police-related equipment.
- No Ride-Along participant may carry a firearm. This includes off-duty officers from outside jurisdictions. It does not apply to oficers from other agencies working an assignment in conjunction with RPD.
- Participants may not possess or use any cameras, video equipment, or other recording devices during the Ride-Along.
- Participants must provide the assigned officer with proper identification prior to the Ride-Along.
- Participants must provide for their own meal during a Ride-Along if applicable.
- Participants must follow instructions of the assigned officer and any other officers for their own safety.
- Participants may not take part in any police action or act in a police capacity during the Ride-Along.
- Participants may not converse with prisoners, suspects, witnesses, victims, media personnel, or other persons with whom the officer comes into contact during the Ride-Along, unless they are directed to do so by the assigned officer.
- Participants must not interfere with the assigned officer while he or she is conducting police business. While Ride-Along participants are encouraged to ask questions, please do so at the appropriate time.
- Participants must wear safety belts at all times while the police vehicle is in motion.
- Participants must stay in the police vehicle unless otherwise instructed.
- Any deviation from these guidelines or from the assigned or another officer's instructions may result in the immediate termination of the Ride-Along participation.